This blog is dedicated to my lifelong pursuit of teaching and learning; my humble practice of encouraging adolescents to follow their bliss. I will post teachable moments I have been grateful to capture from my days as Middle School Head and teacher at a local Quaker school.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Snake as Teacher

Recess has just begun.  I am walking through the paved circle in front of the school, on my way to open up the field for the students.  I stop in my tracks as a thin, bright green snake slithers out from the grass onto the pavement in front of my feet.  I take a sharp inhale and hold my breath, put one hand to my mouth, and one to my chest.  I hear the rumble of footsteps behind me and I know that the students will be here momentarily.  I know that how I react will matter.  It will be a model for them.

I choose curiosity over fear.

I turn around and yell, "Hey!  There's a really cool snake over here!  Come see!"  Dozens of heads whip around to face me.  Dozens of pairs of feet start pumping in my direction.  "Wait!" I yell.  "Walk gently.  Don't scare it.  It can feel the vibration of your feet coming."  They slow instantly down and place each foot gently in their approach.

Before long, a whole gaggle of us are in a half circle watching the beautiful snake slither gracefully across the pavement.  The humid, fall air fills with the breath of our whispered questions as we huddle in wonder.

"I feel sorry for him," one girl points out.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because he's not made to slither on pavement.  I bet that hurts his belly."

"Why does he keep stopping to lift and sway his head like that?  What is he doing?" Another girl wonders quietly.

"He's gettin' jiggy with it," a boy comments with a laugh.  We all giggle.

"Look!  He just ate a mosquito!" A seventh grade girl exclaims.

We stand like this for several minutes, slowly walking in our half-circle formation, following the snake as he glides in his silky S-formation all the way across the pavement into the grass.  No one says, "Ew!"  No one expresses fear.

I am struck by their curiosity and compassion.  I am moved that they chose to watch the snake over play soccer or gossip with their friends.  I am inspired by the connection between all living things; it does not need to be taught or explained.  It is there.  It is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment