This blog is dedicated to my lifelong pursuit of teaching and learning; my humble practice of encouraging adolescents to follow their bliss. I will post teachable moments I have been grateful to capture from my days as Middle School Head and teacher at a local Quaker school.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Unconventional Methods

"Adam, what's wrong?" I ask, crouching down next a 6th grade boy with a blank, white paper in front of him.  His pencil is clenched in his hand, his head hung low, his eyes a bit watery.

"I can't write." He says.  "I'm just not a writer.  And I know what you're thinking - I read a lot and I have a big vocabulary and I tell a lot of funny stories and make people laugh, but it's different when it comes to writing.  So don't try to make me.  I can't."

I have just assigned a simple writing exercise for the first time this school year; a focused, personal narrative about a memorable moment from their summer.  Just a page long, I am simply wanting a general idea of each students' current writing capabilities.  I am shocked at Adam's reaction.  His speaking is mature beyond his years.  He has a natural gift for story-telling.  It is obvious to me that he must have some sort of mental block around writing.

"Hmm.  I don't believe you."  I say.  "You're obviously a writer.  You just haven't figured out how to write yet."  He lifts one eyebrow at me.  "Sometimes people prefer typing instead.  Should I get a laptop for you from the cart?"

"No," he replies instantly.  "It doesn't make any difference.  I've tried that."

"Oh ok.  Well I know you're a very active boy.  Sometimes people think best when they're moving.  We could -"

"No.  I've tried occupational therapy and all kinds of stuff.  Listen, Melanie, I'm not trying to be rude.  I just can't write.  My parents and all my past teachers and I have been through this so many times.  There's nothing you can do."  His eyes fill with more tears and he turns his head away from me. 

I need to get his mind off of the writing for awhile.  I need a way to get at the stories in his head from another direction.  I have an idea.  It is not based on research and it has no foundation in sound education principles.  It's just a wacky idea.  But it requires Adam and I leaving the classroom for awhile.  I glance around.  The rest of the class is writing quietly.

"Ok.  I trust you," I tell Adam.  Then, I lower my voice to a whisper and lean in, "So let's do something else for this period, then, while the rest of the class is writing.  Something I just thought of."  I put a twinkle in my eye, and he looks up, intrigued.

"What?" he asks.  I don't answer.  I just get up and walk to the classroom door, motioning for him to follow me.  He unclenches his fist from his pencil and sets it on the table, following me to the door.  I quietly open it and walk out.  He glances behind him at the class, still quietly writing at their desks.  He looks back at me with wide, questioning eyes.  I close the door behind us and rush to the door outside.

We get outside and he says, "What are we doing?"

"I'm going to race you to the top of the spacenet climber, and you have to answer every question I ask as fast as you can, without thinking.  Deal?"

He pauses and cocks his head at me.  "Deal."

"Go!" I run as fast as I can in my cowboy boots to the spacenet climber at the other end of the playground.  It is a very tall tangle of red rope, rising into a pyramid.  It is no small feat to climb to the top, especially in cowboy boots.  "Where did you go this summer?" I shout.

"Um, Ocean City," he shouts back.

"And what did you do there?"

"Went go-carting."

"Awesome.  I've never been.  What is it like?" I ask, getting breathless now, halfway up the climber.

"It's freakishly scary!" he laughs, getting ahead of me on the ropes.  "My dad was even scared!"

"What did it sound like?"

"Like a pinball machine.  Loud.  Crazy!" he laughs more.  "Ha!  I won!" he shouts from the top, one arm raised in victory.

"Barely!" I pant as I join him at the top.  "Now back down."

We scrambled down the spacenet climber in half the time it took us to get up as I fired as many more questions at him as I could.  We hit the mulch with a "thump." We ran back into the hallway, back into the classroom.  Some of the students lifted their heads to stare at us in wonder.  We were sweaty and panting. 

I grabbed Adam's wrist and dragged him back to his desk.  I picked up his pencil and wrote "go-carting" in the center of his paper.  From that, I webbed out all of his words that I could remember, from "freakishly scary" to "Ocean City" and "sounded like a pinball machine."  Then, before he could say a word, I put the pencil back in his hand, hit the piece of paper firmly with my palm, and said, "Now WRITE."

I walked away and immediately began talking to another student so Adam could not follow me in protest.  About ten minutes later, he walked up to me with a sheepish grin on his face.  He outstretched his arm with the piece of paper in offering.  It was half filled with sentences.  I jumped and squealed with delight, grabbing the paper out of his hand.

Then I knelt in front of him and took his shoulders firmly.  "From now on, you are a writer.  You may never say otherwise in my class again.  Do you understand?"

"But -" he started to protest.

"No.  Never again.  I will kick you out."  He stared at me in challenge, his eyes silently asking if I was serious.  "Try me," I said.

"Ok.  I'm a writer."

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for being such a creative educator and helping students step outside of the small thoughts they have about themselves. What a gift you gave that student! You inspire me!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Dawn! I just started this blog, so I'd love to have you as a follower! I notice you're an acupuncturist as well - how cool! I get acupuncture and have many friends who are practitioners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah - upon reading your blog (which is also inspiring, by the way), I see that you're a Tai Sophia person. Figured! Awesome. Me too. Transformative Leadership program.

    ReplyDelete